Mr. Carwile has practiced law in Tulsa since 1984. He has significant and broad experience and first-chair jury and non-jury trial experience in different courts and extensive experience in complex litigation and arbitration proceedings.
Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
Oklahoma Super Lawyers (2006-2016)
Listed in Best Lawyers in America
Member, Oklahoma Bar Association
Admitted to practice in the United States District Courts for the Northern, Western and Eastern Districts of Oklahoma, the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit and various other Courts on an as needed basis.
B.S., United States Naval Academy, 1976
J.D., Harvard Law School, 1984
Active duty line officer, United States Navy (1976-1981)
Law Clerk to the Honorable Stephanie K. Seymour, United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth
Areas of Practice:
Mr. Carwile’s practice encompasses a wide variety of commercial contract and business tort disputes and litigation, to include:
- Oil and gas litigation and disputes relating to:
- Exploration and development agreements
- Gas purchase contracts
- Disputes between operators and working interest owners
- Joint ventures
- Pipeline operations
- Trade and competition litigation, to include trade secrets, non-competition agreements, non-solicitation provisions, proprietary and confidential data litigation, and unfair competition.
- Corporate, partnership and limited liability company owner and member disputes and litigation, to include both plaintiff and defendant representation related to corporate officer and director duties, fiduciary duties, accountings, transfers of assets, receiverships, dissolution, and derivative lawsuits in a wide variety of businesses. These include law firms, private industrial and private oil companies, pipeline companies, retail companies, and medical practices.
- Commercial construction litigation and arbitration, to include gas processing and co-generation facilities, oil refineries, power plants, and oil and gas pipelines.
- Commercial real estate disputes in both trial and arbitration contexts.
- Anti-trust claims, including cases in the aerospace, medical and construction industries
- Trust and fiduciary litigation, including representing plaintiffs and defendants in trust, banking, and securities fraud contexts.
Selected Significant Cases:
Mr. Carwile has successfully represented plaintiffs and defendants in a number of jury and non-jury trials and arbitrations, the most significant of which include:
- Plaintiffs’ non-jury verdict in excess of $30 million for oil and gas working interest/owner claims, including breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and breach of exploration development agreements.
- Successfully defended jury trial claims for misappropriation of proprietary confidential data and trade secrets.
- Successfully defended jury trial claims for rescission and fraud in the drilling of oil wells.
- Plaintiffs’ jury trial verdict for fraud in connection with sale of bank holding company stock.
- Successful defense of derivative actions by members of closely held oil and gas limited liability company asserting claims for breach of contract fraud, and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Plaintiffs’ verdict in action for law firm dissolution, accounting and breach of contract.
- Plaintiffs’ jury trial verdict in excess of $1 million in an oil and gas refinery construction case.